[ale] OT: DSLR recommendations

brian at polibyte.com brian at polibyte.com
Fri Jun 19 14:59:05 EDT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:14:50 -0400, Scott <skotchman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't believe that my significant other is actually going to let me
> get a new camera. Anyone have any opinions on a good DSLR under $600.00.
> I had originally asked about a Canon that was selling for $899 and she
> basically said no way Jose'. Actually it wasn't as nicely said, but I
> got my son and daughter-in-law on my side so she caved in a little bit.
> Features that I would like is 3fps, more current anti dust technology,
> hot shoe for external flash, and recent image-stabilization technology,
> as my hands aren't as steady as they used to be. Also if someone can
> point me in the direction of decent reliable site for additional
> opinions on this subject as ones I've run into I'm not too sure of.

I'm not a photographer, so I can't comment on specific features, but...

My dad recently purchased a Nikon D40. He got it with two lenses, 18-55mm
f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX and 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor,
for $500. He seems very happy with it

I've heard that http://www.kenrockwell.com is a good resource.

All the best,
Brian Pitts