[ale] AT&T U-verse TV

Wed Jun 17 12:57:28 EDT 2009

This is what drives me CRAZY about the lack of freedom in the TV
situation today. I what the video size detected and automatically
stretched to fit the screen. I could probably write something to do it
if there were any freedom in the system. But as it stands I have use
the "Aspect" button to manual change it for every channel. It drives
me crazy when I walk in the room and find that my wife is watching TV
with 16:9 stretched+cropped as if it were 4:3, or has black bars, or
has black box, etc.

I keep catching myself saying, "It doesn't have to suck like this."
It's like my motto for all cases were some jerk tramples freedom to
"protect their IP". Argh.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM, <rs at ale.spam.futz.org> wrote:
>>They connect to the AT&T router's back end via Ethernet as though they
>>were desktops.
>
> Interesting. At my parent's house they are connected via coax.
>
> The boxes also have ethernet ports on the back, so you can plug a machine
> directly into that as well.
>
> Picture is ok, but there has been some frustration with HD content and black
> bars, or in come cases, a black box around the whole picture.
>
> --
> Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
> After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

.!# RichardBronosky #!.