[ale] iphone email connections to dovecot imap

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Wed Jun 17 10:19:27 EDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> I'm trying to connect an iphone to a dovecot imap server. The dovecot
> server is setup to use ssl/tls. I can get to it remotely using a
> thunderbird client but the stupid iphone doesn't connect at all. After
> the config process tries it's test it asks to try without ssl and
> still fails.
>
> Watching the /var/log/messages for an incoming connection at the same
> time and I never see the iphone attempt a connection but I always see
> the thunderbird connection.
>
> ideas?

I've set this up myself, and the only real issue I have is if I let
itunes sync the account information to the phone, it doesn't work
right because the certificate I am using is self-signed. If I setup
the account manually on the phone, it works correctly. Are you using
starttls or port 993? I went the port 993 route and bypassed starttls.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org