[ale] Black Boxes was power strips are doomed

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 17 09:51:03 EDT 2009

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> ...Has a BE FE separation allowing you to velcro a FE to the back of
> your TV. Now, if only the was support for HD decoding in the GPU!
>
> I put my MythTV into storage and am waiting for support for my HD
> TVs... It's been 2.5 years...
>
> On 6/16/09, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Atlanta Geek wrote:
>>> Changing the subject a bit.  But does anyone find it ironic that as the
>>> technology gets to the point where we can have all these neat flat panel
>>> screens we still have to keep the furniture around for the little black
>>> boxes.
>>>
>>> The only people that can hang up a flat panel TV with no boxes are the
>>> guys who only have Over The Air tv or watch analog only on their cable
>>> network.
>>>
>> <snip>
>> Or people with other solutions like mythtv that hides away nicely and
>> only has an hdmi cable going to the tv through the wall.  ;-)

Take a look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

VPDAU support is in trunk, requires an nvidia 8xxx or 9xxx gpu.  Decodes
13.5 Mbps h264 hd 1080p (blue ray) with just 5% CPU on an athlon X2
3800+.  Similar results is had with mpeg2 streams.  I've actually use a
backport to .21 provided by Jean-Yves.
Read up on it here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
The new holy grail of front ends are the ion based boards:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/12/nvidia-ion-platform-gets-demonstrated-at-ces/

Calvin...