[ale] Getting SATA II configured performance

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Sat Jun 13 14:40:41 EDT 2009

Good afternoon sports fans,

I bought a new Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H system
board and a Phenom II X4 920 (2.8 GHz) CPU. I've installed
CentOS 5.3 on an old IDE drive I have that servers as the boot
drive (for /). I've connected two Seagate ST3500320AS drives
to the board.

When I run "hdparm -I" on them it reports only SATA I
speeds:

% /sbin/hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep SATA
*    SATA-I signaling speed (1.5 Gb/s)

Both the board and the drives are capable of SATAII speeds but
I can't seem to figure out why I can't get SATA II signaling. I've
set up the SATA ports as AHCI but hdparm still doesn't see
the drives as SATA II capable.

Any thoughts? Perhaps a cable problem (not sure of the age of
the SATA cables).

Thanks!

Jeff