[ale] lojack for laptops?

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 08:23:38 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Geoffrey<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Brian Schenken wrote:
>> I just sprinkle iocane powder on my keyboard.  They won't get far...
>
> Unless they've already built up an immunity to it!
>

>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Bob Toxen <transam at verysecurelinux.com
>> <mailto:transam at verysecurelinux.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Clever.
>>
>>     Shall we do an Open Source version for Linux (since Lojack only supports
>>     Winbloz and mac)?
>>
>>     While clever, trivial to implement:
>>
>>     Spec. out a simple TCP/IP-based client/server protocol.  Put a listener
>>     on TCP port 80 (or SSL-encrypted on port 443) of a server somewhere.
>>
>>     Then, in /etc/rc.d/rc.local invoke the client-side that sends a message
>>     reporting its IP address, the Reverse DNS FQHN of its address, its
>>     gateway and DNS server addresses (assuming it's using DHCP) and
>>     requesting instructions.
>>
>>     If the Laptop has been reported stolen (confirmed by a password) then it
>>     is instructed to self-destruct.  The Premium service would include a
>>     C4 insert with the form factor of a PCMCIA card or memory stick.
>>
>>     Of course you ARE using encrypted file systems so they won't get your
>>     data.
>>
>>     Bob Toxen
>>     bob at verysecurelinux.com <mailto:bob at verysecurelinux.com>
>>       [Please use for email to me]
>>     http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security
>>     consulting]
>>     http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux
>>     Security 2/e"]
>>     Quality spam and virus filters.
>>     Quality Linux & UNIX security and SysAdmin & software consulting
>>     since 1990.
>>
>>     "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>>     them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
>>     the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
>>     -- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... by Bob
>>
>>     On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 03:14:19PM -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
>>      > Haven't used it but it looks like it exists:
>>      >
>>      > http://www.absolute.com/products/lojack
>>      >
>>      >

There is one great program called Undercover it cost $49 per laptop.
Here is the link.

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/

What it does it make the laptop unusable and takes pictures of the
person that stole it. You can read the details on the page. They also
have a version for iPhones. We are planning to use it where I work to
protect our macs.