[ale] VueScan crossplatform scanner software (was: scanner repair)

Sean drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon Jun 8 16:46:01 EDT 2009

Scanning negatives is more difficult (much) than scanning prints as it
is more difficult to quickly see what effect changes in color/contrast you
are making with the software.

IF, and I understand it is a big "IF", you still have some of the same film
that you have been keeping in the freezer all these years, or IF you can
still get more of the same film, then you can shoot pix of color and
gray-scale charts and work with those negatives until you dial in the
proper settings for the scanner.  But remember that every film emulsion is
different.
If I were you, I'd fire off a query to the guy who created and maintains
VueScan, and ask him for some technical advice.

</Editorial comment>

I suspect nearly all of us have heard the talk of how a "paradigm shift"
killed the Swiss watch industry.  Well the same thing happened to the film
industry and Kodak, like the Swiss watch makers, refused to read the
handwriting on the wall 10 years ago. The film industry is dying fast and
I suspect that in a few years only a few specialty manufacturers will
still be making the stuff (Fuji, Ilford, and the like).  Both color and
black-and-white emulsions will be available for years to come as the "Art"
crowd will provide the demand. The only other group I can see needing film
is the courtroom crowd as the negative will always be a backup to prove
that the image was not "manipulated" in some way.

</End>

Sean