[ale] [OT] Saturn (Was: Re: everyones favorite chair tosserpitches a tax tantrum)

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jun 8 14:35:19 EDT 2009

Maybe things have changed.  I didn't want an SUV or minivan so Vue was
out.

When I was buying in 1993 they didn't make any I even squeeze into.   In
2001 they were making some I could get into but given my penchant for
long road trips I could tell would be quite uncomfortable in short
order.   I'll admit I didn't look at them this year when I went looking
so maybe things have changed in the last 8 years.

My main concern isn't actually head room usually - it's leg room.
Typically I end up having to buy full size cars.

Funny - that reminds me of ex-supervisor - he was more or less same
height as me but it wasn't until after several years of working together
that I realized he had short legs and an oddly elongated torso.  I'm
sure for him leg room isn't usually a problem.

The bummer this year is that most of the automatics now only have the
shifts on the floor instead of on the steering column which meant that
where my knees ended up was a problem side to side.   Various cars that
were OK lengthwise had my knees up against the shift assembly they'd
built up on the floor.  The one that fit best was the Chrysler 300
(Touring) as they hadn't extended the dash out to meet that assembly in
quite the way the GM and Ford models I looked at had.