[ale] Big laptop advice

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Jun 8 08:14:39 EDT 2009

Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jun 2009, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
>> A few months ago, we got a Toshiba Qosmio with an 18.1" screen for my
>> daughter; she likes playing Sims 2 and plans to edit video.  It's definitely
>> a desktop replacement...no, wait - it's a DESK replacement.  No idea how it
>> would do under any Linux distribution but as big laptop hardware with a nice
>> screen, it certainly answers the mail.
>

> I'm down to the Asus 18.4" monster.. (awesome machine)..
>
> or a Sony one.. (pretty, but I've had driver issues in the past)
>
> and eyeing a MacBook Pro 17" with the Matte screen.
>
> Anyone dual-booting into Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro?
> If so: How is it working for you?

Not Ubuntu, but I've got a 'tri-boot' with Red Hat EL 5 and Fedora 9.
There are a number of things that don't work with the stock kernels.
Sound, backlit keyboard, camera.  If you subscribe to the Linux/macbook
list, all of these issues have been resolved in the latest kernels, but
you'll have to build your own.  When I first installed Red Hat, the
wireless did not work with gui, but with the latest kernel updates it
does now.

I do extensive development under Red Hat on my laptop.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin