[ale] Open-Source program(s) for Stock Trading ?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sun Jun 7 21:29:17 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Courtney
Thomas<courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Thanks once more,
>
> Courtney

For what part of stock trading?  If it's the part where you do interactive
exploratory data analysis, then GNU R is a wonderful program to use.

  http://www.r-project.org/

I've used R to do backtesting using historical prices downloaded from
Yahoo, to iterate over some thought experiments, etc.

There are some perl modules for interacting with Yahoo!
Finance, too.  I can't remember which ones I tried, sorry.

By the way, if anybody's interested in a boring but nice way to invest,
I've recently written an online article on a method called "Buy-Only
Rebalancing".

  http://noserose.net/e/bor/

Please email me any suggestions, criticism, or other feedback
directly, since it's pretty off topic for the ALE list.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>