[ale] [OT] Leaky Power Steering

Asher Vilensky ashervilensky at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:44:39 EDT 2009

Just like a software/hardware issue, I would start from the simplest:

- Clean the ENTIRE engine compartment (everything under the hood) really
well.  Cover electronic components; spray grease solvent; clean with water
while engine is cold.

- Fill the power steering reservoir to the top.  Do **NOT** start the
engine.  Let it stand for a night.  Is it leaking while the engine is off?
If so, now that everything is clean, try to locate where.  It's either one
of the hoses or the pump, or the struts (or whatever they are called...
sorry for the bad English).

- If no leak was found while engine is off, turn it on.  Do you see a leak
now?  If not, have somebody turn the steering wheel while you look around
for the leak.

Identifying where the leak is coming from is the first step any shop will
take too.  This is an easy do-it-yourself part.  When you find the leak you
can decide whether you want to fix it yourself or take it somewhere.

Good luck.

-- Asher ("still out of job and looking") Vilensky
  ashervilensky at gmail.com
  Home: 404-377-8434
  Cell: 404 452 8642