[ale] OT Recommended Domain Registrars

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 12:10:00 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Bob Toxen <transam at verysecurelinux.com>wrote:

> I've had EXTREMELY good luck with enomcentral.com (formerly enom.com).
>
> They've had one day of down time in 10 years (due to a sysAdmin goof).
>
> They have geographically dispersed DNS servers running Linux throughout
> the U.S. each on multiple backbones with generator backup.
>
> Their web interface is easy to use.  They use a short aging value so
> that when you change a DNS entry it takes effect quickly.
>
> They answer their phone by the third ring or so 24x7.
>
> Their price is reasonable (not the cheapest but the best).
>
> If you ask me privately I'll tell you another reason to like them.
>
> WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T USE "Network Solutions".  I think they're
> terrible!
>
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 01:18:11AM -0400, aaron wrote:
> > I need to register some domain names.  I have a
> > godaddy account and the default is to just return
> > there, but I am frankly annoyed by their interfaces
> > and reg processes in the way they are constantly
> > trying to up-sell you; I am tired of clicking NO
> > I DON'T WANT THAT a dozen times to keep the bill
> > down to what I DO want.
> >
> > Roughly as cheap as godaddy a big plus. Ability
> > to also host DNS without added charge (and with
> > web admin access) a requirement.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > peace
> > aaron
>
> Bob Toxen
> bob at verysecurelinux.com               [Please use for email to me]
> http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
> http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security
> 2/e"]
> Quality spam and virus filters.
> Quality Linux & UNIX security and SysAdmin & software consulting since
> 1990.
>
> "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
> them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
> the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
> -- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... by Bob

I've been using Namesecure (www.namesecure.com) since 2002.  I have all my
sites on there and I enjoy the process of buying/renewing domains. Their
support is a little shaky (you can only email them), but I haven't had many
issues to begin with. I'm not certain if other domain registrars have this
option, but you can update your registrar & technical information in a bulk
fashion.

--
Marc F.

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"