[ale] Internet Routing is Slow on my Linux-box?

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:30:47 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>
>> Marc Ferguson wrote:
>> > My guess is it's my router. Before we moved into our new home, the Cable
>> > modem and my router both had the same IP scheme (192.168.1.x). We've
>> > moved into a town house and we have DSL with AT&T. When I did the
>> > initial setup, my modem as the IP Address of 192.168.1.254, but my
>> > router has an internet port of 192.168.1.2, but a lan port as 10.0.0.1.
>> > The router is also acting as a DCHP, so the other computers have a
>> > 10.0.0.x scheme.
>> >
>> > I found that extremely odd. So; I tried to give the lan port a
>> > 192.168.1.x scheme and it killed everything. I could no longer gain
>> > access to the router. I had to reset it and start over.  I think there's
>> > a serious lag with the router having to convert 10.0.0.x packets to
>> > 192.168.0.x packets in Linux. Can anyone shed some light?  Thanks.
>>
>> First off, this isn't the problem. You can see this by plugging your
>> "clone machine" directly into your modem.
>>
>> However, being behind two layers of NAT is a pain. You need to put your
>> modem in bridge mode. Search the ALE archive for extensive discussion of
>> this.
>>
>> --
>> All the best,
>> Brian Pitts
>>

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Marc F.
>
> "When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"

Hi Brian,

I quickly looked at my modem this morning before going to work and I saw
that my modem, was in PPPOE mode.  When I changed it to "Bridge", I got
sorely confused.  All the text boxes for username/password was hidden.  If I
put my modem in bridge mode, how does it connect to my ISP?  And what
exactly is the difference between the two modes.  Thanks.