[ale] OT: a question on cable connections

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:16:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Jim Philips<briarpatch.jim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the tech came and plugged a headset into the wall jack. He knew the
> sound he heard there contained unwanted noise. He went off and worked his
> magic and also replaced my modem. Everything is as solid as it used to be.
> I'm happy again.

The greatest issue I have had with bare dsl has been POTS techs not
hearing dial tone and grabbing the pair for a new dial tone install.
The big breakout boxes are no longer labeled.

The only thing you should "hear" on a bare pair dsl is a very high
pitched hiss that's regular and solid. A client had connectivity
issues and I noted I could hear WSB radio very clearly. The bellsouth
tech replaced a squadron of stuff that looked like capacitors in the
big green box and it got all better.

James P. Kinney III