[ale] using ipod touch or iphone with linux (yeah, OSeX!)

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Jun 1 20:27:27 EDT 2009

George L. Allen wrote:
> There is TBs of cruft out there on "how to do x-task on y-gui with z-distro in
> [kde|gnome]."

There's been a pretty big shift here.  In the earlier days (in relation
to the Linux timeline), the common question used to be "how can I make X
work on Linux?" with X being a piece of hardware or software.

Now the question is "How can I make X work with Ubuntu/Fedora/Whatever?"

If it doesn't work on one distro people just pick up another one and
hope.  I know that if a piece of hardware didn't work on my distribution
but it worked on another that I could most certainly make it work with a
bit of patching.

Its not like anyone ran a distro kernel back then anyway :p.  I still
remember running a compile of a 1.2 kernel overnight on a 386 with 4 meg
of ram.

> For what its worth - I've setup my family with Ubuntu ... but when someone says
> "I'd like to LEARN linux" I usually tell them to go with slackware or gentoo so
> they have to Learn something.

The best distro to use is the one that leaves you with the least effort
to get things tweaked how you need them after install.  Everything is
still there under the hood when you need it.

Pat