[ale] using ipod touch or iphone with linux (yeah, OSeX!)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jun 1 11:44:47 EDT 2009

JK wrote:

> It occurs to me that the exact same strategy could be applied to Linux
> very easily.  Instead of *manufacturing* a standardized platform, one
> would simply provide an open-source *spec* for a standardized platform,
> based on widely-available commodity hardware. Then produce a small,
> well-integrated Linux distro targeted to that hardware, along with a
> comprehensive set of user interaction guidelines and so on. (If you
> don't have to support every conceivable piece of PC hardware in the
> world, a Linux kernel can be pretty damned lean.)  Anyone who
> wants a "LinMac" could go out and build one, much more cheaply
> than they could buy a real Mac.  It's even possible that such a
> standardized platform might attract some third-party developer mindshare.
> Something similar to this seems to be happening with the Linux netbooks,
> except that Asus et al are actually manufacturing the platforms, not
> just spec'ing them.

This sounds like the strategy the Linux Foundation is pusrsuing. Pick
one hardware platform, in this case Inte's Atom. Build a distribution
optimized for that hardware, in this case Moblin. Encourage other
distros to adopt Moblin as the base for their "mobile" or "netbook"
versions. Encourage netbook manufacturers to choose a distro based on
Moblin.

http://moblin.org/

--
All the best,