[ale] broadband suggestions

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Jun 1 11:08:45 EDT 2009

Brian Whigham wrote:
> point to point wireless from the church to someone who does have broadband

Yeah, thought about that too, but no networks within range that we could
piggy back off.

> If you can't afford satellite, you can't afford these two options:
>
> You can probably get a T1 for less than Comcast's up front costs.
> Monthly will probably be $350+.
>
> Maybe ISDN or frac-T1 - probably cheaper but less bandwidth.

Yeah, looks like we'll have to go with a cell based broadband solution.
  Verizon has a nice little wifi hotspot that has the cell broadband
device built into it.  You can connect up to 5 computers to that device,
which is more then what our current needs are.

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com
> <mailto:lists at serioustechnology.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've been pulling my hair out trying to get broadband set up at our
>     church.  Comcast says we will have to drop 2600 in order for them to get
>     to us.  I've been dealing with AT&T for over a month now, only to be
>     told now that they can't do it either, because of distance issues.
>
>     Satellite is too expensive.  All we have now is likely a cell based
>     solution.  Anyone have any other suggestions I've not thought of?  We
>     want something faster then dialup.
>
>     --
>     Until later, Geoffrey
>
>     Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
>     temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>      - Benjamin Franklin

Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin