[ale] wireless usb query...

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Jul 30 12:35:15 EDT 2009

Dennis Ruzeski wrote:
> Whatever wlan device you choose, it has to support AP mode so it can
> pretend to be an access point. I think that's the only restriction.

That's only true if you want your machine to serve as an access point.
If you just want it to sit on an existing wifi network and be a router,
any old wifi card will work (as long as Linux supports it).

I have a Belkin HomeConnect $25 USB wifi card on my file/print server,
works great.  I had some reliability issues when I had TWO of these cards
on that machine, but I "solved" that problem (with an ass-ness ratio of
1/2) by moving the server next to one of the wifi routers so I could run
a CAT5 cable and get rid of one of the wifi cards.

-- JK