[ale] SIP service recommendations (WAS: File System for Newbs)

Tue Jul 28 11:26:29 EDT 2009

Do you use iCall with freeSWITCH? If not, what SIP service do you
use? This should probably be a new thread... resubjecting.

I am considering Gizmo5, but I can't figure out if SIP rates are the
same as "Call out from your desktop rate"
(http://gizmo5.com/pc/network/callout-rates/). But now I see
http://carriers.icall.com/services.php which looks good until I see
"minimum deposit" on http://carriers.icall.com/faqs.php

I just want a cheap backup for when I can't get cell service at my home!

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Michael B. Trausch<mbt at zest.trausch.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Marc Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I'd like some guidance in figuring out where do I install programs? I got
>> some flack from a group in a #songbird IRC channel for putting the package
>> in /usr/local/share/applications.  The nice one, pointed me to Red Hat docs
>> and from there I found my way to pathname.com.  I think I've seen this site
>> before, but it's a bit too long for my taste. I started to look through it
>> and fell by the wayside.
>>
>> http://proton.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
>>
>> After my reading, I'm confused. It looks like applications should be
>> installed in the /opt folder.  I could be totally wrong, in my thinking, but
>> I don't want to install apps in my /home directory.  Thanks.
>
> It depends on how you think of things.
>
> If it is something you will often use, I would "./configure && make && make
> install" -- that is, install it with a prefix of /usr/local.  That is what the
> /usr/local tree is there for.
>
> However, if it is something that you need isolated for whatever reason, or
> it's easier to do it isolated (like a phone switch) I install in /opt.  So,
> for example, I run FreeSWITCH at home, and I have that installed in
> /opt/freeswitch on my server.
>
> The advantage of /usr/local is that (on Ubuntu, anyway) it is ahead of
> /usr/bin in the search path.  So if you are upgrading things, installing in
> /usr/local is good; I run an automake and valac in /usr/local on my system.
>
>        --- Mike

.!# RichardBronosky #!.