[ale] ipods under linux

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Fri Jul 24 19:08:30 EDT 2009

> > No flames from this end. I've been watching the same events thinking
> > tha Apple has been just egregious in pursuing product lock-in. And
> > Palm has become my new hero by taking them on. Think back to the
> > time of records. Imagine if Columbia Records had produced vinyl
> > records that could only be played on record players produced by
> > Columbia. Do you think the people or the courts would have tolerated
> > it? I simply will not buy any more Apple products, no matter what
> > the "coolness" factor might be. And this applies especially to songs
> > on iTunes. The alternative is out there and it's DRM-free music from
> > Amazon.

Apple's been shifting away from DRM for a good long while, now, and at
this point everything on the iTunes store is DRM-free.  Yes, it's AAC
and not MP3, but no DRM.  In fact, I would be quite surprised if it
didn't turn out that it'd been thanks to Apple's efforts with the labels
etc. that had led to the likes of Amazon being able to offer music DRM
free.

Cheers,
George