[ale] [OT] make dsl modem visible?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Jul 24 15:33:08 EDT 2009

Tim Watts wrote:
> OK, so on JK's reasonable theory that my linksys is stuck on serving
> 192.168.1.0 to lan clients, I reconfigured the modem as 192.168.3.1. Still no
> go. Tried pinging it from the router and workstation -- not reachable. Tried
> adding a static route to that net on the router -- not reachable. It seems
> that any route I try to add on the router that goes thru the WAN interface
> gets silently rejected. So I think what Jason mentions is what I'll have to
> do. I'm going to explore dd-wrt vs openwrt.
>
> Thanks folks!

Another issue is that the router might think the LAN has a 16-bit netmask
and not a 24-bit one, which would prompt it to send traffic to 192.168.3.1
on the internal (LAN) interface.  Can you change the modem's address to
something like 10.0.0.2/8?  Or change the subnet on the LAN side of the
router (in the router configuration)?

-- JK