[ale] [OT] make dsl modem visible?

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 24 11:20:14 EDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 9:21:36 am Louis Zamora wrote:
> While you may have a public ip address associated with your dsl modem,
> you should be able to hit it with 192.168.1.254. I didn't get what you
> were trying to accomplish but recommend untangle for most everything
> you'd want to manipulate in routing terms.

Untangle looks like an interesting product but I don't see how it would
address my situation -- see below.

> Is there something you are
> trying to do that 192.168.1.254 won't let you?

Basically I want to access the web interfaces on both my modem and my router
from my lan. As it stands, I can't access the modem when it's connected to the
wan port of the router. This is just a home network and I'm using a LinkSys
wrt54g router. Here's kind of a picture of what my network looks like:

               |---wrt54g---|
 | boxA |------| hub || wan |
                  |      |
   | boxB |-------/      \------| modem |----->telco/ISP/internet

So between me (box[A-Z]) and the modem there's the router. I don't see
anything in the router's web interface that will expose the device on the wan
side. The router and modem each have distinct IPs but the modem is on a
different physical segment (if I'm thinking about this correctly). I'm
thinking/hoping that maybe it's just a limitation in what the web interface
exposes and that maybe openwrt could improve on this -- or that I've missed
something in the router's web interface. Anyone have an answer? Am I talking
non-sense?

> On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 08:20 -0400, Tim Watts wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to make my dsl modem
> > accessible from my lan while it's connected to the wan side of my router
> > (WRT54G)? I've tried a number of configurations but no cigar. The closest
> > I got was to put the modem in 'router' mode and connect it to the lan
> > side of the router. Only problem there is I lose the port forwarding
> > feature of the router and the modem's web interface is exposed to the
> > Internet (despite having remote admin disabled on the modem).
> >
> > This is an older model of the WRT54g so OpenWRT is a possibility. Could
> > that help?

One is left with the horrible feeling now that war settles nothing; that to
win a war is as disastrous as to lose one.
 -- Agatha Christie