[ale] Not so evil empire

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Jul 16 17:54:57 EDT 2009

> I do remember quite a few custom homes getting 3-Phase service.  What
> the requirements or procedures are to acquire it is, I do not know.  My
> guess it is more utility provider specific and local ordnance specific.
> I also remember that I was, and am, determined to get 3-Phase when my
> wife and I finally build our own home.

Remember that 3 phase has the "hots" 120 degrees out of phase and it makes
a difference to some motors, HVAC systems, appliances etc..

Really nice "custom" houses have a 3 phase drop for the HVAC systems,
and a standard 220 two hots (180 degree out of phase) drop.

While you do all that, remember that electricity prices are about to
rocket. "Cap and Trade" is just one of the factors. Spend some of that
money on energy conservation technologies like Low Voltage LED lighting..
Hybrid geothermal heat pumps.. good windows and insulation.. etc..
and use a lot less electricity and you won't need so much juice.

And to be a little on topic: Run Linux. It uses less electricity. :)