[ale] Not so evil empire

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Thu Jul 16 14:28:53 EDT 2009

Hello JK,

Thursday, July 16, 2009, 10:36:44 AM, you wrote:

> Idle questions/comments below:

> Robert Reese wrote:
>> Hello Richard,

>> So, specifically, Richard, if you are at the end of the line, ask your power company if it
>> terminates the line at or near your home, and if so ask the workers what it would take to offer
>> you another phase.  Better yet, find out how much it would cost to go three-phase which would be
>> easy if you were at the termination of all three phases on that end-of-the-line. It might be
>> worth your while to go three-phase.

> Am I correct in believing that a 220AC outlet, such as the one I have in my house
> for the hot tub, requires at least 2 phases?

IIRC, no.  240v comes in from the service line, but only as a single phase.  At the main breaker box it is split into two parallel 120v sides.  240v breakers bridge the two for the 240v service.  BTW, 220v is considered the same as the 240v (mostly); 220v is the OLD one, 240v is the new one.  Again, this is pretty much from memory.

But I am 98% sure it still is single phase.

R~P.

P.S: 3-Phase power is theoretically much cleaner and more stable than single-phase, ESPECIALLY when converting to DC.  (Do I really need to say IIRC?)  :D