[ale] HOW2-> sample internet data & generate desktop responses ?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Jul 16 13:47:29 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Courtney
Thomas<courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I would like to be able to sample financial data published on the internet
> by various services, e.g. Yahoo, and automate various responses on receipt,
> e.g. orders to brokers to sell, buy, etc......
>
> Suggestions for buying, free downloads, or programming would be appreciated.

There are modules for ruby, perl, and python that allow you to
use Yahoo! Finance data programmatically, but I don't know
about interacting with a broker programmatically.

Just to ease my conscience ... I'd recommend trading with
software with pretend money or at least with money you are
comfortable losing.  But it would be a shame for a bug to
cost you more than you felt comfortable losing.  Be careful.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>