[ale] OT: Clear Wimax going live on June 16

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Tue Jul 14 21:32:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Brian Pitts<brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
> What I'd like to see is the results of these [0] tests [1] from someone
> connected to the Clear network. Allegedly they've discriminated against
> other VOIP providers in the past. You can read this and other complaints
> here. [2]
>
> [0] http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/
> [1] http://www.eff.org/testyourisp/switzerland
> [2] http://clearwiresucks.com/blog/

Here are the results from [0]

The ICSI Netalyzr Beta
Result Summary
No Reverse Information / 71.22.206.184
Recorded at 21:19 EDT (01:19 UTC next day) on Tue, July 14 2009.
Noteworthy Events

Minor Aberrations

   * Network packet buffering may be excessive
   * Your computer's clock is slightly slow

Address-based Tests
Show details for these tests

NAT detection: NAT Detected

Your global IP address is 71.22.206.184 while your local one is
192.168.1.100. You are behind a NAT. Your local address is in
unroutable address space.

Your NAT renumbers TCP source ports sequentially. The following graph
shows connection attempts on the X-axis and their corresponding source
ports on the Y-axis.

port sequence plot

DNS-based host information: OK
You are not a Tor exit node for HTTP traffic.
You are not listed on any Spamhaus blacklists.
The SORBS DUHL believes you are using a statically assigned IP address.

   * NAT detection: NAT Detected
   * DNS-based host information: OK

Reachability Tests
Show details for these tests

General connectivity: OK
Basic UDP access is available.
Direct UDP access to remote DNS servers (port 53) is allowed.
The applet was also able to directly request a small DNS response with
EDNS enabled.
The applet was also able to directly request a medium sized (~1400B)
DNS response.
The applet was also able to directly request a large (~1800B) DNS response.
Direct UDP access to remote MSSQL servers (port 1434) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote FTP servers (port 21) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote SSH servers (port 22) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote SMTP servers (port 25) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote DNS servers (port 53) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote HTTP servers (port 80) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote POP servers (port 110) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote RPC servers (port 135) is blocked.
This is probably for security reasons, as this protocol is generally
not designed for use outside the local network.
Direct TCP access to remote NetBIOS servers (port 139) is blocked.
This is probably for security reasons, as this protocol is generally
not designed for use outside the local network.
Direct TCP access to remote IMAP servers (port 143) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote SNMP servers (port 161) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote HTTPS servers (port 443) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote SMB servers (port 445) is blocked.
This is probably for security reasons, as this protocol is generally
not designed for use outside the local network.
Direct TCP access to remote SMTP/SSL servers (port 465) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote secure IMAP servers (port 585) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote authenticated SMTP servers (port 587) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote IMAP/SSL servers (port 993) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote POP/SSL servers (port 995) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote SIP servers (port 5060) is allowed.
Direct TCP access to remote BitTorrent servers (port 6881) is allowed.

   * General connectivity: OK

Network Access Link Properties
Show details for these tests

Network latency measurements: Latency: 88ms Loss: 0.0%
The round-trip time (RTT) between your computer and our server is 88
msec, which is good.
We recorded no packet loss between your system and our server.

TCP connection setup latency: 110ms
The time it takes your computer to set up a TCP connection with our
server is 110 msec, which is good.

Network bandwidth measurements: Upload 500 Kbit/sec, Download 6.7 Mbit/sec
Your Uplink: We measured your uplink's sending bandwidth at 500
Kbit/sec. This level of bandwidth works well for many users.
During this test, the applet observed 1 reordered packet.
Your Downlink: We measured your downlink's receiving bandwidth at 6.7
Mbit/sec. This level of bandwidth works well for many users.

Network buffer measurements: Uplink 3000 ms, Downlink 170 ms
We estimate your uplink as having 3000 msec of buffering. This is
quite high, and you may experience substantial disruption to your
network performance when performing interactive tasks such as
web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large uploads. With such a
buffer, real-time applications such as games or audio chat can work
quite poorly when conducting large uploads at the same time.
We estimate your downlink as having 170 msec of buffering. This level
may serve well for maximizing speed while minimizing the impact of
large transfers on other traffic.

   * Network latency measurements: Latency: 88ms Loss: 0.0%
   * TCP connection setup latency: 110ms
   * Network bandwidth measurements: Upload 500 Kbit/sec, Download 6.7 Mbit/sec
   * Network buffer measurements: Uplink 3000 ms, Downlink 170 ms

HTTP Tests
Show details for these tests

Address-based HTTP proxy detection: OK
There is no explicit sign of HTTP proxy use based on IP address.

Header-based HTTP proxy detection: OK
No HTTP header or content changes hint at the presence of a proxy.

HTTP proxy detection via malformed requests: OK
Deliberately malformed HTTP requests arrive at our server unchanged.
We are not able to detect a proxy along the path to our server using
this method.

Filetype-based filtering: OK
We did not detect file-content filtering.

HTTP caching behavior: OK
There is no suggestion that a transparent HTTP cache exists in your network.

JavaScript-based tests: OK
The applet was not run from within a frame.
Your web browser reports the following cookies for our web page:

   * netAlizEd = BaR (set by our server)

Your web browser was unable to fetch an image using IPv6.

   * Address-based HTTP proxy detection: OK
   * Header-based HTTP proxy detection: OK
   * HTTP proxy detection via malformed requests: OK
   * Filetype-based filtering: OK
   * HTTP caching behavior: OK
   * JavaScript-based tests: OK

DNS Tests
Show details for these tests

Restricted domain DNS lookup: OK
We are able to successfully lookup a name which resolves to the same
IP address as our webserver. This means we are able to conduct many of
the tests on your DNS server.

Unrestricted domain DNS lookup: OK
We are able to successfully lookup arbitrary names from within the
Java applet. This means we are able to conduct all test on your DNS
server.

DNS resolver address: OK
The IP address of your ISP's DNS Resolver is 75.94.255.27, which does
not resolve.

DNS resolver properties: Lookup latency: 420ms
Your ISP's DNS resolver requires 420 msec to conduct an external lookup.
Your resolver is using QTYPE=A for default queries.
Your resolver is not automatically performing IPv6 queries.
Your DNS resolver does not use EDNS.
Your resolver does not use 0x20 randomization, but will pass names in
a case-sensitive manner.

DNS glue policy: OK
Your ISP's DNS resolver does not accept generic additional (glue)
records — good.
Your ISP's DNS resolver does not accept additional (glue) records
which correspond to nameservers.
Your ISP's DNS resolver does not follow CNAMEs.

DNS resolver port randomization: OK
Your ISP's DNS resolver properly randomizes its local port number.
The following graph shows DNS requests on the x-axis and the detected
source ports on the y-axis.

port sequence plot

DNS lookups of popular domains: OK
74 of 74 popular names were resolved successfully. Show all names.
In the following table reverse lookups that failed but for which a
Start Of Authority (SOA) entry indicated correct name associations are
shown using an "X", followed by the SOA entry. Absence of both IP
address and reverse name indicates failed forward lookups.
Name    IP Address      Reverse Name/SOA
www.abbey.co.uk         165.160.15.20   X (pdns1.cscdns.net)
ad.doubleclick.net      216.73.86.52    annymegaadvip1.doubleclick.net
www.alliance-leicester.co.uk    194.130.105.121         X (alice.ioko365.com)
www.amazon.com  207.171.166.252         166-252.amazon.com
www.ameritrade.com      204.58.27.105   beta-new.tdameritrade.com
www.bankofamerica.com   171.159.193.173         www.bankofamerica.com
www.bankofscotland.co.uk        195.171.171.21  X (ns0.bt.net)
www.bankofthewest.com   207.114.194.101         X (dns1a.bankofthewest.com)
www.barclays.co.uk      213.219.1.141   X (dns1.lon7.telecityredbus.net)
www.capitalone.com      208.80.48.112   X (chia.arin.net)
www.chase.com   159.53.64.105   X (ns1.jpmorganchase.com)
chaseonline.chase.com   159.53.64.54    resources-cdc2.chase.com
www.citi.com    192.193.232.227         X (ns.citicorp.com)
www.citibank.com        192.193.232.227         X (ns.citicorp.com)
www.citimortgage.com    192.193.103.118         X (ns.citicorp.com)
www.cnn.com     157.166.255.18  www.cnn.com
www.desjardins.com      142.195.192.35  desjardins.com
www.deutsche-bank.de    217.73.49.24    www.deutsche-bank.de
www.e-gold.com  209.200.169.10  unknown.prolexic.com
www.ebay.com    66.135.217.243  hp-core.ebay.com
www.etrade.com  198.93.34.21    www.etrade.com
www.facebook.com        69.63.186.12    www.11.06.ash1.facebook.com
www.fdic.gov    167.176.17.84   www.fdic.gov
www.friendfinder.com    208.88.180.81   X (ii53-30.friendfinderinc.com)
www.geocities.com       98.137.46.72    intl1.geo.vip.sp2.yahoo.com
www.google.com  74.125.53.106   pw-in-f106.google.com
www.halifax.co.uk       212.140.245.97  halifax.co.uk
www.hsbc.co.uk  193.108.74.126  X (ns3.hsbc.com)
www.jpmorganchase.com   159.53.60.166   X (ns1.jpmorganchase.com)
www.lloydstsb.com       193.34.230.181  X (ns2.lloydstsb.co.uk)
mail.google.com         74.125.53.18    pw-in-f18.google.com
mail.live.com   64.4.20.186     dp4.mail.live.com
mail.yahoo.com  69.147.112.160  l2.login.vip.re3.yahoo.com
www.mbna.com    209.135.59.10   X (ns1.usi.net)
www.mbna.net    209.135.59.10   X (ns1.usi.net)
www.meebo.com   208.81.191.110  X (ns1.meebo.com)
messenger.yahoo.com     68.142.230.204  myc1.msg.vip.re2.yahoo.com
www.microsoft.com       207.46.19.254   wwwbaytest2.microsoft.com
www.nationwide.co.uk    155.131.127.10  www.nationwide.co.uk
www.networksolutions.com        205.178.187.13  www.networksolutions.com
www.newegg.com  204.14.213.185  X (pdns1.ultradns.net)
online.citibank.com     199.67.180.11   X (ns.citicorp.com)
online.wellsfargo.com   151.151.88.132  percussion-on.wellsfargo.com
www.orange.fr   193.252.149.20  www.orange.fr.s1.fti.net
pagead.googlesyndication.com    74.125.53.164   pw-in-f164.google.com
partner.googleadservices.com    74.125.53.166   pw-in-f166.google.com
www.paypal.com  66.211.169.65   X (crocodile.ebay.com)
www.postbank.de         62.153.105.37   X (ns1.postbank.de)
www.rbs.co.uk   155.136.80.222  X (ns0-08.dns.pipex.net)
www.schwab.com  162.93.224.80   wwwschwab-vip.schwab.com
www.sears.com   96.17.41.99     a96-17-41-99.de[...]echnologies.com
www.secureworks.com     65.114.32.183   www.secureworks.net
smartzone.comcast.net   76.96.58.12     webmail3.westch[...]ail.comcast.net
www.smithbarney.com     192.193.20.126  X (ns.citicorp.com)
www.sparkasse.de        195.140.127.130         www.sparkasse.de
www.sterlingsavingsbank.com     12.19.55.215    sterlingsavingsbank.com
www.tdameritrade.com    204.58.27.121   beta-new.tdameritrade.com
www.ticketmaster.com    96.6.36.199     a96-6-36-199.de[...]echnologies.com
us.etrade.com   12.153.224.21   us.etrade.com
www.usbank.com  170.135.216.181         epay.usbank.com
www.verisign.com        65.205.249.60   www.verisign.net
www.wachovia.com        169.200.183.139         X (sls-ns1.wachovia.com)
www.wamu.com    167.88.184.51   www.wamu.com
www.wellsfargo.com      151.151.88.133  percussion-dd.wellsfargo.com
westernunion.com        206.201.228.250         www.wuagentlink.com
windowsupdate.microsoft.com     207.46.225.221  X (msnhst.microsoft.com)
wireless.att.com        135.209.208.191         origin-busine[...]eless.att.com
www.yahoo.com   69.147.76.15    f1.www.vip.re1.yahoo.com
5 popular names have a mild anomaly. The ownership suggested by the
reverse name lookup does not match our understanding of the original
name. The most likely cause is the site's use of a Content Delivery
Network. Show all names.
Name    IP Address      Reverse Name/SOA
www.f-secure.com        97.65.135.155   X (ipdnstool-02.[...]twtelecom.net)
www.irs.gov     97.65.135.155   X (ipdnstool-02.[...]twtelecom.net)
www.nordea.fi   193.88.186.178  X (ns01.tdchosting.dk)
www.trendmicro.com      97.65.135.177   X (ipdnstool-02.[...]twtelecom.net)
www.visa.com    97.65.135.160   X (ipdnstool-02.[...]twtelecom.net)
1 popular name has a mild anomaly: we are unable to find a reverse
name associated with the IP address provided by your ISP's DNS server.
This is most likely due to a slow responding DNS server or
misconfiguration on the part of the domain owner. Show all names.
Name    IP Address      Reverse Name/SOA
www.careerbuilder.com   208.88.81.22    X

DNS results wildcarding: OK
Your ISP correctly leaves non-resolving names untouched.

   * Restricted domain DNS lookup: OK
   * Unrestricted domain DNS lookup: OK
   * DNS resolver address: OK
   * DNS resolver properties: Lookup latency: 420ms
   * DNS glue policy: OK
   * DNS resolver port randomization: OK
   * DNS lookups of popular domains: OK
   * DNS results wildcarding: OK

Host Properties
Show details for these tests

System clock accuracy: Warning
Your computer's clock is 8 seconds slow.

Browser properties: OK

I have the mobile+home 6mbps package for $55 a month. They don't have
a linux driver for the mobile stick, but they sell a "mobile hotspot".
You plug the mobile stick into this portable battery powered device
and it creates a wifi network for up to 8 ppl. It is $130, but it I
haven't bought it yet. I will though b/c what choice do I have?

The above results come from the home modem.

-O