[ale] OT: Out in left field or in the sewers of The Big Apple

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 13 16:26:42 EDT 2009

On 07/13/2009 02:07:31 PM, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> But Richard,
>
> You're not one that I'd expect would:
>
> a) let your kids roam around Manhattan
> unaccompanied/escorted/supervised
> (even if you lived in NY)
> b) let your kids be unaware of the potential pitfalls of
> not looking where
> you're going
>
> Were this to happen to one of my kids, they'd be the first
> ones to call what
> they did "dumb".  The secret is in the parenting.
>
> This was just plain ol' "dumb".  If you're old enough to
> hold a learner's
> permit (and under some circumstances, a full driver's
> license), then you're
> old enough to watch where you're going.

Time to wade in on the other side for a minute here.

If you are going to open up a nominal hazard in a traffic
area (foot or otherwise), barricade it first. There are
plenty of people with solid reasons to be limited in their
ability to avoid hazard. Like the blind guy. Or the plumber
with a large load and limited visibility because of it.

Public employees opened up a hazard and apparently did not
properly mark it off.

(I'll skip comments here that the child's parents were
lacking in teaching skills to their precious snowflake, and
should also bear full responsibility.)