[ale] Ubuntu configuration issues

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:35:07 EDT 2009

Sean wrote:
> Preston, thanks for the tip. On my connection that is going to take a little less
> than 2 hours to download. :(  It is an .img file.
> It would help to know what it will do.  Will it do a complete reinstall
> (including formatting) -- which means I need to backup /home before starting, or
> will it only overwrite the system files?
>
> I wonder how closely the netbook remix resembles Xubuntu with XFCE? I ask because
> I have a DVD with the 9.04 version of that remix in house.
> At this point I am willing to try anything to get audio (and Skype) running
> properly.  One of the links on the Ubuntu page led to "known issues" (bugs) and
> the listed workaround for the problem was to uninstall pulseaudio.  While waiting
> for the download to complete on my main box I will try that on the netbook and
> see what happens.  Will report back later after the download completes.

The img file will write to a thumb drive.  I used ImageWriter as per the
instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles.

I would suggest backing up everything to be safe since it will go
through all the install steps a regular Ubuntu CD does (including
formatting).

The Ubuntu Remix will install a Gnome based GUI that has been customized
for netbooks.  after some tinkering I like it pretty well, but have also
installed LXDE with lxlauncher for a faster and more customized netbook.
 i alternate between the two as my mood strikes.

I am running UNR on an Acer Aspire One (D150-1577) and Asus EEE PC
(900A) with no problems.

Good luck.  I will be out of pocket until Sunday night, but will
definitely be looking Monday to see how things went.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/