[ale] ecryptfs problems switching OSes

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:52:05 EDT 2009

So there's no way to go _back_ to the ubuntu install?

The files are the encrypted ones. You may have to manual decrypt each one.

It looks like you used :

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/08/07/create-an-encrypted-private-directory-with-ecryptfs/

as a method to do the encryption. All I can think of is you are not
passing back in the correct parameters on the mount.

Also doublecheck that you actually have encryptfs capability loaded as
a kernel module. Once you do the mount check dmesg and
/var/log/messages for more info.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM, David Lemcoe<forum at lemcoe.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched from Ubuntu to Debian, and previously had my /home/david
> encrypted using ecryptfs that I configured at the time of install. Now, I
> have installed Debian, and I cannot successfully mount the old ~/.Private
> directory. I am using the following command:
>
> mount -t ecryptfs /media/disk-4/home/david/.Private/ /media/Private
>
> (/media/disk-4/ is the root of my old install)
>
> When I do this, it asks for a password, encryption method, and byte size. I
> do all this, and at the end it says "Mounted eCryptfs". Now when I go to the
> new mount point (/media/Private), it has the following files:
>
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y0djk9ZF4Eth2rerv0r9zSk--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y0MsQIMa42iCFwbzIUKMRmk--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y0RtRndGswxn52zE-q24bEE--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y0.tlv2flBPlovUNhgpoXSU--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y1BOhNByIpqgq0zBWb5G1Q---
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y1DeEIj1NHrj1ZkOTU6kuLU--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y1fd-dFJXN0Qd7cBB2EXaIk--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y1HzTxBRLW7zLIJTnv2sCYU--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y2o3i5yJ6-7XrVjHAL5dGmk--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y4smc7MqH-qytpbU0XDSV8k--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y5D46sn-eQQbhvNostL7MSE--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y5XSmUTdyrqAA831CTSqM4U--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y6YwIQ1ymXF8LA5d1W6mJxE--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y7OlI7HnS1lcBp.CknZTWf---
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y7TPFVCQnRQFZC8CWhrbPhE--
> ECRYPTFS_FNEK_ENCRYPTED.FWbrVieCe.NexER.VostXtx6phkZgbFMM9-y.8G2vhJKqlj1rH7sY0bs0U--
>
> and many more....
>
> What am I doing wrong? I really need my old files.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> David

James P. Kinney III