[ale] recommendation for HTPC keyboard trackball combo

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Fri Jul 3 14:16:23 EDT 2009

Atlanta Geek wrote:
> I'm loking for a wireless keyboard/trackball combo.  I prefer RF or
> bluetooth.  Not IR
> This is for an HTPC.  Anyone have any suggestions.  A local place
> would be great so I can get this up this weekend.
> Thanks.

A keyboard is a keyboard.  I have a cheap bluetooth mouse and keyboard
that I keep sitting next to computer that's hooked up to my projector
(projectors rock, btw :p).

What I use most of the time, though, is a playstation 3 bluetooth remote
control.  I don't know how much they cost, they were shipping them free
when I bought my PS3.  It drains batteries a bit when it is on, since it
stays connected.  It works great for my projector because it doesn't
need line of sight.

There is a python script that I found a while back that converts button
presses on the remove into keypresses.  I bet there is something fancier
for doing this now.

Another good option for a mouse replacement would be a Wii Remote.  I've
synced one up to my laptop and played with it, it worked fine.  You
could point for a mouse and you could probably set up some gestures.
The media player I have installed on my Wii uses the trigger button as a
shift key for the other buttons, that's also a smart idea.

Pat