[ale] Convert VDI to raw image (was ALE puzzler (or, BusyBox rocks))

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Sat Feb 28 15:59:39 EST 2009

All,

I have been trying to convert a vdi to a raw image so I can run it
under KVM rather then virtualbox. All the posts on how to do this
revolve around a program called vditool which no longer exists. There
was also a suggestion to use a patched version of qemu, but that is
also old. So my plan is to run the vdi in virtualbox, then dd the disk
over to my actual machine. I tried:

dd if=/dev/hda | ssh otech at 192.168.1.100 'cat > disk.img'

That seemed to start fine, but after about a gig the transmission
keeps breaking. Both the client and server claim the other closed the
connection.

So then I tried the suggestion from this thread:

server: sudo nc -l -p 22 > disk.img
virtualbox: sudo dd if=/dev/hda | nc 192.168.1.100 22

That transferred about 140M before it just stopped.

It seems that it should be working, but something is interrupting the
connection. At this point I am pretty much out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

-OFosho, Miami Dolphin and Virtually Frustrated