[ale] upding software issue

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:19:45 EST 2009

It _does_ work but it is not really recommended. I have a machine that
has gone from Fedora core 1 through Fedora 9 by upgrade only. I will
be wiping it and bare-installing F11 when it comes out. The upgrade
take (much, MUCH) longer and can run into conflicts if there are many
third-party repo's in use.

Also because of the bleeding-edge nature of Fedora, there are many
packages that get dropped from one version to the next. Those just
cause update clogs later.

That said, as long as you have fast access and the address for all the
third-party repos, F9->F10 update was amazingly smooth on a test box.
I still went back and wiped the drive later as I wanted to encrypt it
and the process for doing so on a live machine was more arduous than
the back up, wipe, install process.

But, yes, Fedora can do a system upgrade. RedHat has had that option
since RedHat 5.1. It started _working_ around RedHat 7.2 :-)

2009/2/26 David Tomaschik <david at tuxteam.com>:
> Please tell me that Fedora *DOES* support doing version-to-version upgrades
> without a reinstall.  I haven't run Fedora in a long time, but everything
> I've used lately (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.) handles it quite nicely.
>
> David
>

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Backup all your data
>> 2. Install Fedora 10
>> 3. Restore your data
>>
>> You are seeing the EOL failure message.
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/308913/
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > My work machine has prompted me to update some software, but the
>> > pirut shows "pkgKey 734 doesn't exist in repo updates" when I apply
>> > updates, and fails.
>> >
>> > Fedora 8 install.
>> >
>> > Any pointers to info and/or resolution would be greatly appreciated
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> >

>> > --
>> > Pete Hardie
>> > --------