[ale] Virtualization

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Wed Feb 25 12:24:05 EST 2009

	Like with anything there are right and wrong situations for using it.
If you have a very high I/O application, then pushing it into a
virtualized environment is going to be error prone. I've worked with
both VMWare and Xen, actually worked to help put together the Xen
packaging team for Debian. Now RHEL5 include Xen as their choice of
virtualization.

	I've been making use of a dual quad-core server with ample amounts of
RAM using Xen to actually improve the performance of a monitoring
platform. Running without virtualization the system was actually bored
but yet not performing as efficiently as it should have given the
server's resources. Rebuilt using Xen and putting my monitoring pollers
into VMs I got serious performance gains by splitting the load and
finally got the server to fully utilize it's resources.

	That said I have instances where I wouldn't consider virtualization as
it the application would put too much demand on a single VM which if not
properly configured could starve Peter to serve Paul.

	If you've got the environment with use of a SAN and multiple host
servers for VMs you can add good HA to the mix as any of the hosts could
fire up the VM which utilize the SAN for their data rather than local
HDD resources.

	As someone mentioned earlier if it's poorly thought out and implemented
it will be begging for an epic fail. It is all in how it's designed and
implemented.