[ale] Virtualization

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 23:27:27 EST 2009

JK, how old is your box?  Newer Intel and AMD multi-core CPU's have
extensions that provide better performance specifically for
virtualization ( VTx and AMD-V.)  You can enable these extensions
through the settings in VirtualBox. ( Although you will probably be
forced to re-install the XP guest if you do.)  Your guest VM's are
operating in para-virtualization mode which is going to provide less
performance than full virtualization.  (  grep for vmx in
/proc/cpuinfo, that will show wether or not your cpu supports full
virtualization.  You should also check your BIOS to see if you need to
turn on virtualization features if they are there.)  VirtualBox is
great for desktop use; VMWare Workstation only edges it when you are
running multiple VM's.  And its hard to beat free ( it definately
outperforms VMWare Player.)  I wouldn't go with VMWare Server or Xen
for desktop use.  As for VMWare Server, I would look into ditching it
for VMWare ESXi.  It provides much improved performance and
granularity in tuning VM's over the old Server product.  It is free,
as in gratis.  You just need to register with VMWare's site and get a
key.  It will time out after 60 days if you don't.