[ale] Maybe was discussed before - revised

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Feb 24 22:22:20 EST 2009

Ken Ratliff wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:59 PM, bugy at bellsouth.net
> <mailto:bugy at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> I apologize ... maybe my previous question wasn't clear. When you
>> order DSL from AT&T they send you new modem in package, so the DSL is
>> ready to go when you are ready. You hook up your PC to the
>> modem/router, call tech. support and they give you temporary username
>> and password for the DSL modem/router ( in my case username:
>> dslreg at att.net <mailto:dslreg at att.net> passwd:dslreg or was
>> regdsl at att.net <mailto:regdsl at att.net>/regdsl I can't recall ). This
>> account gives you access only to my.att.net especially to the new
>> UID/PASSWD registration page http://dslinstallation.bellsouth.net. So
>> on this page is the main challenge. You have to have IE+Windows to
>> register account, otherwise won't go.
>>
>> In short : Is anybody are able to go around
>> http://dslinstallation.bellsouth.net and successfully to register new
>> AT&T account under Linux.
>>
>> Thanks again
>
> Hrm, that's different. When I setup service with them pre-merger, they
> just included a paper with the modem that had my username and password
> on it. I know their website isn't firefox friendly, but is their
> provisioning page really firefox unfriendly as well?

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood.  Bugy doesn't actually *have* the
correct UID/PWD...

I recall now that when I signed up with them several years
ago (long before my latest misbegotten attempt) I requested the
"Macintosh" version of the self-install package, which did
come with the correct, final UID/PWD for my connection.

Honestly, AT&T's behavior in this regard is nothing short of
bizarre.  They seem to be actively discouraging non-Windows
users, yet if you call them up and complain they will do
everything short of stripping naked and dancing for you on
webcam to keep you from cancelling your service. Why not
just give you the freakin' UID up front?

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov