[ale] School Project to Create Distributed Filesystem

Omar Chanouha ofosho at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 23 23:40:47 EST 2009

Hello Everyone,

      I have a school project at gatech this semster that involves
creating a distributed filesystem. The direct link to our proposal can
be found here:http://www.opensourceaficionado.com/winabi/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=5.
The website can be found here:
http://www.opensourceaficionado.com/winabi.

Essentially, what we want to do is create a distibuted filesystem via
a protocol we will create, but connect to it via nfs, so the client
does not need to have any special software on his/her pc. The section
I am assigned to is to create the nfs to winabi interface. Below is a
short example:

client ---NFS--->server--->winabi--->filesystem
client <---NFS---server<---winabi<---filesystem

I would like ANY help a kind soul is willing to offer. A few questions
that would be nice to have answered, but again, any thoughts/comments
you have would be appreciated.

1. Would modifying using space apps alone, ie. nfsutils, be enough?
(Probably not, right?)
2. Is there any documentation, I am having a little trouble finding
it? Specifically,
  -What comes with nfs-utils, and what do they do?
  -What is in the kernel, and what does it do?
3. If I have to modify kernel code, where is that code located?
  -If anyone could give me specific files to change, you would be my hero

Also, no one on our team has done any kernel hacking before, so any
advice AT ALL as related to kernel hacking in general is appreciated.
Any wisdoms you may have learned, anything you would have like to know
when you were getting started, any opinion at all is welcome.

Lastly, if anyone thinks that they have alot to share in terms of
kernel hacking or nfs and would like to pass on some skills, I got
dinner/lunch whenever you like.

Thanks alot!

-OFosho, Miami Dolphin and Linux Enthusiast