[ale] conflicting printer drivers

Jim Moore d2ove4deb at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 23 07:24:48 EST 2009

My printer is now up and running.  Decided to first try an update route
before tinkering with the ppd files.  First ran "aptitude update" which
resulted in the HAL not loading.  Restarted in console mode and did an
"apt-get update".  That process reconciled the ppd  file problem and
printer is now working under the 5.0.0 gutenprint version.
Think how I got into all that was when I did the initial update from
Etch to Lenny I was asked at one point if I wanted to keep the current
cups configuration to which I replied yes.  So it kept the 5.0.0 version
but the Lenny update loaded the 5.0.2 version and hence the conflict.
Thanks to all for your suggestions

Jim