[ale] How Do I Join?

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Feb 20 11:21:04 EST 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Craig Button wrote:

> Z80?  LOL  nice to see at least one other old fart out there.  LOL.  I
> actually still have a box of Timex TS-1000 somewere.

I have a Z88.. The "laptop" as well as a pristine TS-1000
The Z88 has 640k of memory, and a serial com program that
I have used to surf the net via a serial connection
to a linux box, just to prove I could. Hard to display ale.org
(or any website) in 4 lines of text via elinks, but it could, kinda.

Note: http://www.chatc.org is what I think is  example of a good
technology group website - Of course, if you "view source",
you'll see my name, but I don't do any of the content, it has
a simple CMS that uses FCKeditor to allow others to do it.
The calendar and such is all mysql driven, easy to update
via the CMS. But it takes a real human some time to keep it updated
and unless someone is really bored, that is the real issue.
If the website is "freshened up" - who is going to add/maintain content?

For example:
Another one I host is: www.chattanoogagrotto.org, via MediaWiki,
and once the initial flurry of "that's kewl, I can edit stuff"
was over... it's as stale as 90% of the web.

Chugalug.org - stale as well.

I get excellent value for my ale.org dues... knowing ya'll
on the list is worth, well. at least a 6 pack of beer,
and less than the proposed bailout =~ trillion dollars.

Other than having how to get on the mailing list, or
when/where the next meeting is.... well, I can't think of much else
needed.