[ale] OT: Maglev funding?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:22:38 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:

>> Actually, the weight difference is not related to the turning radius
>> at all.
>
> Certainly loaded rail cars will ride higher on the rail?

Nope. The taper on the wheels coupled with the crowning sets the ride
point to be center except for turns. The load will affect the
suspension height certainly. But the suspension, unlike an automobile,
does not affect the wheel geometry with respect to the road/rail. A
loaded rail car will ride lower _ABOVE_ the rail than an empty car.

If the load affeces the rail positioning it is due to faulty rail anchoring.

Side note: If you get the chance, watch a railroad tie changing
process. A special car rides up, claws yank out the spikes, a
hydraulic boom rips the tie out from under the rail, a second boom
pounds a new tie in its place and hydraulic nail guns pound in new
spikes. It does a tie change out in about 40 seconds! There is a pile
of new tie's in Clarkeston so I expect that rail line to get  upgraded
soon. Cool!

James P. Kinney III