[ale] OT: Maglev funding?

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Mon Feb 16 15:36:24 EST 2009

> My next question is does people movers that require large capital
> expenditures make sense. The existing/sucessful mass transit
> systems I've been on (NY, London, Washington DC) were built before
> the automobile.

People Movers are fantastic for certain applications.  However, those
applications typically are micro environments; an airport is a perfect example
as is an amusement park.  Las Vegas could use one, probably, as well as a few
other places where there is a high concentration of people in a localized space.

It isn't really feasible for the longer commutes, not even from the airport to
another destination.  That's where the monorail's purpose lies inside the city.

The other problem is that the maintenance cost on a People Mover are quite
high... imagine the thousands of bearings, electric motors, switches, and so
forth that have to be maintained just at WDW alone.  Sure, the usefulness there
warrants the high maintenance, but as a replacement for MARTA it just wouldn't
make sense financially.

Cheers,
Robert~
(a former backstage employee at the real Disneyland)