[ale] Really slow copy

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 13:19:18 EST 2009

Hi,

On Monday 16 February 2009 12:33 pm, James Taylor wrote:
> You didn't mention what method you are using to copy.
> If I have a small amount of data to copy, I use fish:// protocol in
> konqueror (essentially graphical scp), which is very slow. I have found it
> exhibits similar behavior to what you describe.

The server has Kubuntu 8.10 installed and I initiated the copy using the
Dolphin file manager. Don't know what protocol it uses other than file:///.
As I said, it's copying over an NFS mount and the server is pulling files
from the laptop.

I don't understand where the bottleneck is. Why is it getting so little CPU
time? Why has its share dropped so much and never resumed? I don't think
there's a lot of local network noise but I don't know how to measure that. I
seem to get good responsiveness from the laptop.

Would I be better off killing the current process and starting over with just
plain old cp? I've already invested about 18 hours in this thing and don't
have much to show.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks.

--
One is left with the horrible feeling now that war settles nothing; that to
win a war is as disastrous as to lose one.