[ale] How can I mimic Apple's terrific screen graphics and text resolution ?

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Feb 15 12:23:13 EST 2009

On 2009, Feb, 15, , at 11:27 AM, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> I' m using an HP w2408 LCD monitor and have poor resolution vis-a-vis
> Apple's great resolution I see at Fry's, etc....
>
> Can I mimic Apple's crisp clear screen's graphics and text ?  If yes,
> how, please ?  Or does Apple use some proprietary hardware/software to
> achieve their superior look  ?
>
> BTW I run OS X 10.5.2 Leopard, Slax and Vista...all on this same
> machine with resolution of 1280 x 1040. The monitor's recommendation
> at power-on is 1920 x 1200. Both @60Hz.  But I'd like to mimic Apple's
> look, however it's done.

If you have managed to get Leopard running on a commodity PC machine,
as this post implies, then you should be seeing "the great resolution"
already. (I was surprised to see the OSeX on a PC possibility suggested,
but a quick google showed that it is now possible...
< http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/20/macosx_on_a_pc/ > )

I believe apple goes to great extremes to keep the crisp look on their
systems, from very high quality hardware in the graphics cards and
displays to the software scheme of their graphics rendering process:
everything your eyes see from a Max OSeX system is rendered Postscript.
If you are running OSeX on PC with compatible graphics card on a
quality display, then you should be seeing quality similar to that
of and authentic Mac system and display.

As to the monitor resolution issue, if the native resolution (number
of pixels on your monitor) is 1920x1200, then you are going to get the
best results by matching that resolution with your graphics settings.
On CRT's, matching output resolution of the monitor isn't an issue,
but matching resolution pixel for pixel on digital displays can make
a big difference.

peace
aaron

PS: With OSeX and SLaX installed on the machine you can regain some
disk space by clearing the FistYa partion now. ;^)