[ale] multimedia woes in Ubuntu Hardy/Intrepid

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 15 03:11:35 EST 2009

Hey, I have a XPS M1530 with Hardy.

Set to use ALSA.
Turn up all the volumes of everything in the mixer.
Double check you can get sound and then adjust mixer
levels til you find what you like.  The digital mic
is required for the mic to work.  The analog setting
won't work only the digital.  I would add medibuntu
as a repository and install Mplayer from there.  The
codecs from there ought to fix your Dad's problem.

Personally, I found that keeping the dell repository
caused me problems on updates.  A friend found differently
on her XPS M1330.  She had to just redo settings.  I
think the initial large number of updates required
to bring a Dell Hardy up to date does cause some problems
for each system they ship.  I had real problems with my
touchpad, while she did not.  I didn't have problems
with network manager and wifi settings while she had to
redo all her wifi settings and make sure a kernel module
was loading.  Obviously, Dell should test updates and
make corrections as necessary.  Shipping new systems
already updated would be better.  However, you can
save out the LinDVD deb from the recovery partition.  Make
some notes on all the special settings that are applied
by scripts in the recovery partition.  Then, you
can wipe the drive, install Ubuntu Hardy from scratch,
and then apply those same changes manually.  The machine
will work more consistently for some reason.  I did this
with a Inspiron 1420N that came with Gutsy and was upgraded
to Hardy.  It was easy to just reinstall Hardy with a
Ubuntu Hardy vanilla install and then apply the Dell changes
manually.  That system works better now.  I haven't yet
gone that far with my 1530 since it is running just fine.
Best wishes,
Dow