[ale] vmware kernel

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Feb 10 09:17:23 EST 2009

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>>

>> If my understanding of the enterprise version is correct, that is it's
>> based on Linux, then they would have an obligation to publish their
>> code, right?
>>

> No.  You should be able to download all the GPL parts of
> the system that boots and starts VMware but just because
> their code runs under Linux does not mean you can see it.

Maybe I'm not being clear.  I perfectly understand that you can write
proprietary code to run on top of linux without publishing your code.
What I'm asking is, if the version of vmware that runs on bare metal,
ie, ESX, is based on the Linux kernel, then they should have to publish
their code.

ESX does not run on top of Linux, it runs on bare metal, thus it is an
OS in and of itself.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin