[ale] [OT][Way OT] Industrial Power Question

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Feb 9 07:57:14 EST 2009

tom wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
>> Yes - dunno where you got yours but Carmax is doing a mighty fine
>> job of selling *new* Chrysler products...that 0% financing is
>> *factory* financing, by the way.
>
> I really shouldn't tag in here. But a couple of random points. The
> last Chrysler product I owned (only really) pretty much died of old
> age well under 100K, and drank fuel like a pig. Ok it was a minivan
> so I really should give it a little break on that. Back in the late
> '80s.

Going strong at 60K+ on my 2005 Durango. (knock on wood...)

> I'm on my second Mazda, after getting 260,000 out of the first. Both
> have been US assembled cars, so don't tell me US labor can't produce
> high quality vehicles. Both cars have been 5 overweight passenger
> vehicles (bit of a squish tho) with better than 30mpg hwy, and 24mpg
> city by measurement. I'd like better milage, but may need to wait a
> while for that.

We all have contrary stories.  I purchased two Mazda Proteges, one after
the other.  Both exhibited the exact same problem.  The radiator cracked
across the top at under 80K+ miles.  Who in their right mind makes a
radiator out of plastic?

That being said, I've been very pleased with my 1999 mazda pickup.  No
major problems at this point, but then it's just under 80K.

> With respect (below) to the allegation that SUV's have been knocked
> from their sales position, I have mixed feelings. I've got too many
> neighbors who all but worship their SUV, and a mightily upset with
> the gas companies for making gas available at a higher price. Two of
> them have multiple behemoths and drive longish distances daily. I'd
> like to have their income, but not their wasteful habits.

I did my research before purchasing my Durango.  At the time, gas prices
were predicted to drop.  Thus, in 2005, I purchased the Durango with the
largest engine Dodge put in the thing, 5.7L hemi.  I knew I was going to
be in a car pool for band students, thus hauling 4-5 high school
students to/from events, so I needed a large vehicle.  I don't regret
the purchase, my daughter's in her senior year now and I'm still taking
advantage of the available 7 seats for winter guard competitions.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin