[ale] [OT] AT&T DSL vs RoadRunner cable broadband

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Feb 9 07:46:38 EST 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> BS has a wonderful habit of installing a type of equipment that no one
> can connect to. At least that's what the claim is. There are certain
> types of systems they are not required to allow third-party hookup to
> so that is what they deploy by default.

I'm trying to understand this statement.  Whenever I've had dsl service
with other providers, BS has always been involved because they own the
'last mile.'  Back when I had Speedfactory dsl and before that when I
had ISDN.

To what hardware are you referring?

> The only _REAL_ solution to this nightmare is to legislate a permanent
> split between hardware provisioning and service provided over that
> hardware. When "Fred's Pole Service" doesn't deliver working
> wires/fiber/coax to a neighborhood, the data services can petition to
> have the contract revoked and a new last-mile provider can bid. This
> may need to be a local city/county servicing process or a neighborhood
> contracting process (think condo association here).

Agreed.  The fact that other providers can not provide the same speeds
that AT&T can, seems to indicate to me that the monopoly is still intact.

> I also feel very strongly that content providers should not be allowed
> into the access provider market. It's too much of a conflict of
> interest issue (Imagine if Disney offered Internet access.).

Agreed.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin