[ale] eavesdropping on serial port

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 8 18:34:47 EST 2009

Hi -

Yes, this isn't too difficult. Basically, one RS-232C line can usually
drive two RS-232C receivers. I took four mini-D9 connectors and:

1) Wired a Male (#1) 1:1 to a Female (#2) as a pass-through,
2) Wired a Male (#3) so its RxData line tapped off the RxData line of #1,
and
3) Wired the remaining Female (#4) so its RxData line tapped off the
RxData line of #2 (which is the TxData line of #1)

I chose the gender and pinouts of #3 and #4 to conveniently match the two
serial ports on the back of my PC Linux. In Linux I started a pair of
Minicoms, one receiving from #3 and the other from #4, and compared the
serial data each of them captured.

There are dedicated capture programs to merge such streams - I had one in
Windows, but not in Linux. "Eyeball" filtering worked for my problem, but
you may want to cobble some software to keep the two streams separate but
correlated.

I posted the break-out schematic as 'ASCII art' on ALE back in 2000 or
2001, but I'll have to dig a bit to find it. You might do better hitting
the ALE archive against this e-mail address.

Meanwhile, HTH.

Let us know what you learn.

  - Mills