[ale] [OT] AT&T DSL vs RoadRunner cable broadband

Adam Allred prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 11:54:44 EST 2009

James Sumners wrote:
> In that case, if you don't require dry loop, you could go with
> Atlantic Nexus. They have intelligent techs and are worth the slight
> premium over AT&T. In fact, I just got off the phone with them trying
> to resolve a speed issue (getting ~1.5Mb instead of 3Mb). The tech was
> very willing to run every possible test and go over my setup. In the
> end, he is sending me a modem (without re-entering me into a contract)
> to test. And if that fails to be the culprit, he will send someone out
> to my house.
>
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Jeremy T. Bouse
> <jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net> wrote:
>>        I'd pay more if they could provide but unfortunately AT&T seems to be
>> the only one that can provide ADSL service to my location. I can only
>> qualify for IDSL at a much lower bandwidth or T1 which is out of my budget.
>>
>>        Jeremy

Second the Atlantic Nexus. It's run by a couple guys in Sandy Springs,
and they're the ones you'll get on the phone if you have a problem.

They run over BS lines, but use their own equipment. You have to have a
BS line, but when they say xMbps, that's exactly what you get. I
regularly get > 2.5mbps for my 3Mbps line, and *more* than their max for
upload.

I've been with them for 3 years, and had only one outage. I called, and
they said they had a switch fail, and would call me back when it was
fixed. Lo and behold, they actually did.

They're cheaper than speakeasy in the end, but more than AT&T. So if you
want a higher level of residential service at a reasonable price, go
with them.