[ale] Comparing EXT4 and JFS

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Feb 4 14:09:52 EST 2009

On Wed February 4 2009, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Ext4 just went "stable" as of 2.6.28. (ie. Christmas time).  Thus I
> assume it is just now getting much real world use.

from the Debian-users list:

> Does anybody know when (and if) will ext4 be the default installation
> filesystem of debian testing?

First off, Lenny will have to be released. Only then a kernel that
actually supports ext4 properly may be included in Unstable / Testing.

As for making it the default: not that it is my call, but it does not
look like a sane default for now. Most rescue disks around don't support
it yet. It has not gone through enough testing. If you know you want it,
select it explicitly.
that being said, if rescue disks don't support it, you will have a hard time
getting to it, if your system crashes..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800