[ale] OT: password gripe

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Dec 31 07:45:00 EST 2009

<rant>
I do my best to create good passwords.  I'm continuing to find various
companies that I do business with, restricting the character set for
passwords and/or length.  This drives me nuts because all my passwords
contain a combination of alphanumeric and punctuation AND long.  I'm
continuing to find companies who do not permit punctuation in a
password.  I just don't get it?  Do they not understand that they are
reducing the security of a password by restricting the character set?

I called support for one company and they told me it was an 'internet
standard.'  I told them they were full of crap.

What am I missing here?  Can anyone give me a good reason for such a
policy????
</rant>

--
Until later, Geoffrey